Sunday, July 23, 2006

Angie..

It's still pretty fresh, The visitation is this afternoon, and I have been asked to speak at the funeral Monday..


Lightning kills Angus woman


One of three family members struck during beach outing

BY RAYMOND BOWE
Local News - Friday, July 21, 2006 @ 07:00

WASAGA BEACH A family trip to the beach turned deadly when a 26-year-old woman was struck by lightning yesterday afternoon.

The victim was identified by police as Angela Exell, of Angus. She died shortly after 3 p.m. at Collingwood General & Marine Hospital.

Two other women, who are related to the victim, were treated for minor injuries and transported to the same hospital.

Huronia West OPP Const.Mark Kinney was nearby conducting an interview about a recent drowning when the incident occurred.

I was walking along the boardwalk when I heard a loud bang, he said.

I was alerted by a passerby (to the scene) and started CPR (on the victim). When you see that large of a flash, no matter where it is, youll see it, Kinney added.

Jennifer Bellissimo was sitting in her car just metres from the scene when the incident occurred. However, her car was backed into the parking spot, so she didnt see the woman get hit.

But I could feel it the car jerked, Bellissimo said. We heard a big crack and a big bang right after.

Christina Balkenende, who works at a nearby jewelry store, also saw the lightning bolt come down. I saw a huge white stripe, Balkenende said. My heart felt like it stopped. All I heard was everybody gasping.

Joanne Smith, who was walking down to Beach Area No. 1, said, I heard a loud, loud crack and I jumped. I knew it hit something.

Last month, two women were injured when lightning struck one of the women and a tree. The second woman was injured when the tree fell on her.


I had heard there was an accident earlier in the day and that she had died. I assumed it was a vehicle accident, simply because she was a stay-at-home mom, and that there really isn't too much risk involved in her life. When I got to the families home her 5 year old son explained in pretty graphic detail to me how mommy got hit in the head with lightning, and then set on fire. Her son, husband, daughter and some other friends on the beach were all thrown back from the blast, 2 were injured.

The family is a real mess. They asked me to get all her friends into town for Mondays funeral, and to speak at it. What to say..

Last time I saw her she was at our wedding, in charge of herding the kids. Her son was the ringbearer, and her daughter (2) was one of the less cooperative flowergirls, who got scared by the photographer half way down the aisle, and ran back to her mom at the back.

What a mess..


1 Comments:

At October 08, 2006 9:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We miss Angela, it doesn't seem fair.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home